The Election Commission shall have the duties and powers as follows:
(1) to hold or arrange for the holding of an election of Members of the House of Representatives, a selection of Senators, an election of members of the local assembly and local administrators and a referendum;
(2) to control and supervise elections and selections under (1) to proceed in an honest and just manner, and control and supervise the holding of a referendum to proceed in a lawful manner; for this purpose, it shall have the power to conduct an investigation or inquiry as necessary or as deemed appropriate;
(3) where the result of an investigation or inquiry under (2) indicates, or an act is found with reasonable grounds for suspicion that an election or selection under (1) has not proceeded in an honest or just manner, or a referendum has proceeded in an unlawful manner, it shall have the power to suspend, withhold, rectify or cancel the election or selection or referendum, and to order the holding of a new election, selection or referendum in certain polling stations or every polling station;
(4) to temporarily suspend the right to stand for election of a candidate for an election or selection under (1) for a period of not more than one year where there is evidence to reasonably believe that such person has committed or has connived at the act committed by other persons which is dishonest or which causes the election or selection to not proceed in an honest or just manner;
(5) to supervise the operation of political parties to be in accordance with the law;
(6) other duties and powers under the Constitution or laws.